Who are we?
What is a cookie
A cookie is a small text file which is placed onto your device (e.g. computer, smartphone or other electronic device) when you use our website. These help us recognize you and your device and store some information about your preferences or past use of the website.
For example, we may monitor how many times you visit the website, which pages you go to, traffic data, location data and the originating domain name of a user's internet service provider. This information helps us to build a profile of our users. Some of this data will be aggregated or statistical, which means that we will not be able to identify you individually.
Your Choices about Cookies
We will ask for your permission (consent) to place cookies (other than essential cookies) or other similar technologies on your device when you visit our website.
- recognise you whenever you visit this website (this speeds up your access to the website as you do not have to log in each time);
- obtain information about your preferences and use of our website
- carry out surveys, research and statistical analysis to help improve our content, products and services and to help us better understand our users’ requirements;
- target our marketing and advertising campaigns more effectively by providing interest-based content that are personalised to your interests; and
- make your online experience more efficient and enjoyable.
For further information on cookies generally visit www.aboutcookies.org or www.allaboutcookies.org.
Types of cookies
The cookies we place on your device fall into the following categories:
- Essential cookies — these cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you which amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but some parts of the site will not then work.
- Analytical and statistical cookies — these cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve the performance of our site. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous.
- Functional cookies — these cookies allow our website to remember the choices you make (such as your user name, language, last action and search preferences) and provide enhanced, more personal features. They may be set by us or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. The information collected by these cookies is anonymous and cannot track your browsing activity on other websites.
- Targeting cookies — these cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners. They uniquely identify your browser and internet device to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. We will use this information to record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.
- Social media cookies — these cookies are set by a range of social media services that we have added to the site to enable you to share our content with your friends and networks. They are capable of tracking your browser across other sites and building up a profile of your interests. This may impact the content and messages you see on other websites you visit. If you do not allow these cookies you may not be able to use or see these sharing tools.
Storage duration of cookies
The cookies we place on your device are stored for the following duration:
- Session cookies — these allow our website to link your actions during a particular browser session. These expire each time you close your browser and do not remain on your device afterwards.
- Persistent cookies — these are stored on your device in between browser sessions. These allow your preferences or actions across our website to be remembered. These will remain on your device until they expire in typically 365 days, or you delete them from your cache.